Have you ever filled out an online form only to be told that the cryptic series of letters and numbers you were asked to enter were incorrect? If you have then you know why we think Captchas suck. But why do we even have captchas?
What is a Captcha?
A CAPTCHA is a program that can generate and grade tests that humans can pass but current computer programs cannot. For example, humans can read distorted text but current computer programs can't. So in short, captchas prevent spam-bots from submitting your form.
What do we have against Captchas?
Captchas are not user friendly! They bring the process of filling out and submitting a form to a grinding slow down and in some cases, a halt. We're all about designing forms that get increased response and conversion rates. The entire form filing process is optimized so the user has the best possible experience and can get the form submitted quickly and easily. That's the goal, make it easy for your on-line audiance to submit your form. For you it's a sale, a new lead, a sign up, etc... Don't make the final step before they hit submit a frustration and an error prone step. A captcha as the last element on your form can only ever decrease conversion rates.
So what do I do about Form Spam and Bots?
When you develop your forms on the logiforms platform we've already taken care of it. Just enable the Anti-spam setting and your form will send bots packing - all without a captcha. You'll get higher response rates and more converesions. How do we do it? It's done through a series of tests to check if the form submission is done by a human or a bot.
- How long did the submission take? Bots submit your form faster than a human ever could (think 500 milliseconds)
- Were certain words (viagra,casino,sex, etc) detected in the submission
- Was the form submission's content saturated with hyperlinks. The most common type of form spam is links to casinos and other websites.
- Was any mouse movement detected?
- Was any keyboard activity detected?
- Were our super secret hidden form fields filled out? A human can't see those fields and would never fill them out. A bot just thinks they are another form field and submits its spammy payload.
logiforms intelligently detects spam without asking the user to engage in a frustration filled process (see captcha). This is just one of the little features of logiforms that contributes to our customers' high response and conversion rates. Let us know if you've used it and how it's been working for you! Remember, all of the tests can be tweaked based on the kind of data you expect to recieve.